Thursday, October 18, 2007

976. Tom Jones (1963)

Here is my Tom Jones story. In 2002 or so I took a drama class in college and had to watch a play. So I went and saw a musical version of Tom Jones at my college. It was pretty bad, as it combined bad acting with 70's pop music. I distinctly remember 'Fernando' by Abba being prominent. Another song in the musical was 'Cecilia' by Simon & Garfunkel. I didn't know the who sang it, but I recognized. After some searching I discovered it was S & G, which lead me to buy Bridge Over Troubled Water, which in turn lead to a long-time fascination with S & G.

From there I read a biography of them, which went into detail about S & G's connection with Mike Nichols. From there I had a burning desire to watch The Graduate, which currently stands as my all time favorite movie. So thank you bad college production of 'Tom Jones' for your serendipitous influence upon my life.

No comments: