Friday, October 19, 2007

339. Mr. Smith Goes To Washington (1939)


My favorite scene is this movie is the montage of Jimmy Stewart punching people in the face. I think more movies need that. Jimmy Stewart punching people in the face.

I think what I like about Frank Capra movies is the clear division between good and evil. The good guys are likeable, and while not infallible, do what's right in the end. Meanwhile the bad guys seem to have no soul, and have every awful tactic at their disposal. Basically the bad guys screw over the good guys til you can't take it anymore and then in the end the good guys triumph. The formula is simple but with the right people it works so well.

I am surprised this movie would get made in 1939. It's pretty cynical about how the political system works in America, and I was just surprised that on the cusp of war, a movie like this would get made. After doing a bit of research I found that the movie was considered quite controversial, and there were fears that this movie could be used as propaganda against the US.

I think am probably being naive but as I watch all these old movies I am surprised that they are actually fairly topical. I just assumed that anything remotely controversial or critical got whitewashed, but except for the notable lack of nudity and gay people, these old movies present alot of relevant themes, with at least some honesty.

I just wasn't expected this movie to portray corruption so openly. It was good to see.

No comments: